Associate Degree in Early Childhood Education
This Associate Degree programme is designed to target basic school teachers, teacher assistants for lower grades of the primary education system, along with persons desirous of accessing more advanced and appropriate training. This programme is the Ministry of Education’s recent initiative to replace the three year diploma with the four year Bachelors degree as the required entry qualification for the teaching profession.
The programme therefore aims to:
- Provide candidates with sound foundational knowledge in general education and in specialized early childhood development studies that support their future advancement into diverse pathways of practice in the early childhood profession.
- Enable access to persons with non-traditional qualifications to pursue studies that lead to an internationally and regionally recognized terminal qualification of Associate Degree.
- Place a strong emphasis on skills, competencies and practice in the course of studies. (JBTE;2014)
Who Should Apply
1. Individuals who are already in the field and require formal qualifications.
2. Persons who wish to develop skills in Early Childhood Education in order to contribute to nation building.
3. Persons who want to change their career path.
4. School leavers with CXC qualifications who would like to access the profession
Persons who want to change their career path
High school graduates with related subjects desirous of entering the profession.
Competencies that graduates of the programme will have:
On completing this program, graduates will be expected to demonstrate the following skills and competencies:
- Explain/discuss relevant theoretical perspectives and principles of child growth and development in the early years to middle childhood.
- Effectively relate with and guide young children's development and behaviour based on sound knowledge of their characteristics and needs, including children with exceptionalities.
- Work independently or as part of a team to effectively implement early childhood curricula for the different levels.
- Apply basic but essential skills for integrating technology in the teaching/learning environment.
- Pass at least four (4) subjects in CXC/CSEC including English Language. (NB: Grade III is accepted after June 1998).
- Candidates seeking Entry to the Early Childhood Associate Degree Programme may use the NCTVET level II qualifications in Early Childhood as one of the four subjects required for matriculation.
- Mature Entry: Candidates over the age of 30 years who do not have the academic qualification required will need to have completed at least five (5) years teaching in an Early Childhood institution and should submit a portfolio. (NB: The college will provide information regarding the portfolio).