Associate of Science Degree in Mathematics and Finance
The aims of this associate degree programme are:
- To prepare graduates for a variety of entry-level careers and/or professions in Mathematics and the financial sector locally as well as in the wider Caribbean under the aegis of the CSME.
- To provide graduates with the mathematical foundation, the analytical skills together with practical experience to pursue further studies, subject to the requirements of other tertiary institutions.
This programme is both practical and theory-based. It is highly analytical, drawing upon various disciplines such as Communication, Information Technology, Data Analysis, Accounting and Costing. The entire course of study is further enhanced by a vast range of mathematical tools made available up to the intermediate level and broadened by the inclusion of Risk Management and Insurance, Lending (Banking).
The Associate Degree in Mathematics and Finance is offered over the usual two (2) years but students have a maximum of five (5) years in which to complete their studies. Students are also required to pursue all the courses in this programme.
In addition ALL students are required to do thirty (30) hours of voluntary hours and two-hundred and forty (240) hours of work experience
- Graduates should be able to move on to a Bachelor Degree in Mathematics and Finance
- Teach CSEC Mathematics and/or Additional Mathematics and/or CAPE Unit 1 Mathematics
- Meet the matriculation requirements for entry into an Actuarial Science degree programme
- Work as a junior Accounting Executive in a brokerage firm
- Work as a trainee analyst in a Stock Brokerage firm
- Work in banking, insurance, credit union or other financial institutions
- Work as a junior statistician.