Purpose of the Quality Policy
This policy is designed to communicate the intent and position of Excelsior Community College in regards to quality.
Quality refers to the fitness for purpose of our programmes, teaching and learning and related services to meet the standards and requirements of students and stakeholders.
The quality of our service provision is judged by our students, stakeholders and community and their acknowledgment of our ability to meet their needs.
Guiding Philosophy of the Excelsior Community College
As a Methodist tertiary institution, we believe in:
- providing access to lifelong learning opportunities
- transforming lives through research, innovation, excellence in education and training • embracing our core values to enhance the social and economic environment • exemplifying the Christian world views as prescribed by the Methodist teachings • promoting, transmitting and preserving our culture and heritage
We are a transformative, agile higher education institution with a Christian worldview forging linkages and positively impacting our communities.
We transform lives through quality education and training, applied research and partnerships with local and international communities.
Commitment, Transparency, Respect, Accountability, Integrity and Trust
Our commitment to quality is expressed in the promises we make to our key stakeholders:
- Students - to facilitate their learning and developmental needs to make them competitive internationally; prepared for the dynamic working environment and nurtured for leadership
- Governing bodies - to be high performing and consistently compliant.
- Donors - to be accountable and transparent and providing suitable recognition and trust
- Staff - to be considerate of their needs and provide opportunities for growth and development
- The wider Society - to respect diversity, maintain integrity and high ethical standards in the delivery of our products and services
As a Methodist institution, Excelsior Community College uses an enabling, learner-centered approach in a research-driven environment to enhance graduates’ holistic development and foster participation and leadership in community-based initiatives and nation building.
Excelsior Community College provides relevant, market driven lifelong learning and educational programmes and certification that satisfy our stakeholders and are in alignment with national and global labour market demands and human resource developmentgoals.
The College is committed to the ongoing development and maintenance of its internal systems and processes to support its curricula and service delivery and conducts periodic reviews to inform continuous improvement, expand its brand and create value for the students, donors and society.
Quality Objectives for 2022/23
1. 90% Student Satisfaction Rating
2. 93% Course Satisfaction Rating
3. 90% Employer Satisfaction Rating
4. 87% Student Engagement Rating
5. 80% Employee Satisfaction Rating
6. 25% of Students achieving GPA of 3.0 and above (Associate & Bachelor’s degrees) & 27% of students achieving GPA of 3.5 and above (Graduate programmes)
7. Minimum of five (5) technology upgrades/substitutions
8. 78% average employee performance score
9. At least fifteen (15) major stakeholder events held
10. Fifteen (15) international partnerships maintained
Quality Guarantee and Commitment
We guarantee the quality of our programmes and awards, by benchmarking against local and internationally recognized institutions and standards as follows;
ISO 9001:2015 standards
University Council of Jamaica (UCJ) standards
Standards of international accreditation bodies including the International Network for Quality Assurance Agencies in Higher Education (INQAAHE)
Local and international education standards
UNESCO 2030 Education Plan
The College remains compliant with guidelines established by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Information (MoEYI), the Council of Community Colleges of Jamaica (CCCJ) and other relevant local regulatory bodies.
Quality Assurance Statement
In response to national and global demands the College is committed to initiating, implementing and reviewing its policies and systems for the efficient and effective delivery of teaching and learning, benchmarked against local and international standards and measured against the key performance indicators.
This quality policy is reviewed annually to ensure that it remains relevant to our stakeholders and responsive to a changing world.
Quality Assurance Statement approved in 2004.
Quality Policy, v.1.0, approved by the ECC Committee of Management (COM), November 26, 2019, released
January 20, 2020.
Quality Policy, v.2.0, approved by the ECC Committee of Management (COM), November 22, 2021.
Quality Policy, v.2.1, quality objectives updated, February 2022. This policy was released and approved by the ECC
Committee of Management (COM) February 28, 2022.